(Fort Lauderdale, March 14, 2014) – It’s March, and as Dicky V would say, it’s NCAA tournament time baby! Yes – those magical three weeks each year where many bosses nationwide plan for reasonable productivity dips and relax the rules on extended lunches. Of course they do – they’ve got to catch the games, too!
Regardless, whether you’re playing hooky, heading out for an office-sponsored lunch, or just taking the day off, Shula Burger is announcing a “Get in the Game” campaign full of discounted food offers and a star-powered grand prize that make the fast casual restaurant THE spot for Florida residents to take in the tournament action. In addition to the campaign, Shula Burger brings HD-TV’s, craft beer, and burgers made from the Best Beef Money Can Buy to the table that make it the perfect place to catch the basketball madness.
And speaking of perfection, Wichita State has a chance to become the first team in nearly 40 years to finish an NCAA basketball season undefeated. Considering few people, if any, know what it takes to lead a team to perfection like Coach Don Shula, not only is Shula Burger kicking off a “Get in the Game” campaign in March, they’re also releasing Coach Shula’s 6 Tips to Tournament Perfection.
As Coach Shula says himself, these six tips are key for any coach or business leader pursuing perfection, like Gregg Marshall’s Wichita State Shockers who need six more wins to complete a 40-0 journey.
“Regardless of your ability as a leader or the talent you have at your disposal, completing a perfect season is incredibly difficult in any sport,” says Shula. “Every other team has a heightened awareness and focus when they play a team on a roll like that and the team pursuing perfection must match the intensity to overcome the challenge. The six tips I’ve provided are the catalysts that propelled my 1972 team to an undefeated season. They’re also the founding principles of all Shula’s restaurants. Perhaps they can also help Coach Marshall and his squad elevate their game like we do at Shula’s restaurants each day.”
Here are Coach Shula’s 6 tips to Tournament Perfection. Details on the “Get in the Game” campaign can be found below.
Coach Shula’s 6 Tips to Tournament Perfection
Coach Shula knows a little something about running the table when it matters and leading a team to perfection. While Wichita State is the only team with a chance to finish the season 40-0, all coaches and players headed into the NCAA tournament have the same goal – win the next six games and take home the ultimate prize.
There will only be one team cutting down the nets on April 7th and Coach Shula has “Six tips to Tournament Perfection” to share with tournament teams eagerly seeking a 6-0 run to the NCAA title.
- Coach to your team’s strengths – No team is flawless. The 1972 Dolphins weren’t flawless. Wichita State isn’t flawless. No Shula’s restaurant is flawless. However, all great teams, like those three, display an uncanny ability to play at a tempo/style that fits their strengths. As a coach, adjust your style/philosophy to fit the strengths of your players and empower them to maximize their talents as a cohesive unit.
- Have unwavering faith in your team’s ability to win – All teams who have finished a season undefeated have shown that they can win big, win tight and win ugly. In the 1972 playoffs, all three of our games were one-possession nail-biters. Sometimes, at Shula’s restaurants, we’ve had to adjust on a dime to keep customers happy. In both situations, my fellow coaches and I never doubted our team’s ability to stay the course and pull through when it matters. The best coaches want to win, and win big, but they know how to motivate their players to come through in the clutch, as well.
- Win the game of inches – I don’t care what sport it is, it’s the game of inches decides the winner in any close game. And it’s not always as obvious as it was in Super Bowl XXXIV, when the Titans literally came up inches short of a Lombardi trophy. In our restaurants, it’s small details that make all the difference – like making sure to flip and turn burgers just once to get the temperature just right. When it comes to the NCAA tournament, it’s the teams who recover more loose balls, hit more free throws, and jump just a little higher for that critical block or tap-in who find a way to advance.
- Trust the gameplan that got you here – Too often, I see coaches and business owners turn a blind eye to the gameplan/people who helped them achieve success in the first place. Everyone, and I mean everyone, makes mistakes and plays below their ability, at times. Sometimes things go wrong – but that doesn’t mean you bench your QB or fire your manager because of one bad series or one bad day at the office. Stick with your strategy and key guys when it matters most.
- Go for the jugular – All of the most successful teams know how to keep their foot on the gas even when they’re playing with a comfortable lead. This is obviously even more important in the playoffs. This isn’t about bad sportsmanship and running up the score – it’s about making sure the victory is secured during tournament time. We preach similar things at Shula’s restaurants – we have established an excellent reputation, but we have to continue to do all of the things that make us great EVERY day in order to maintain that reputation. Like our restaurants, if any of the tournament teams take their foot off the gas at any time, it could spell disaster and lead to an early trip home.
- Give it to your prime time player in the clutch – Every team has a player who is built for big moments. Some coaches are fortunate enough to have a few guys. On the 1972 team, it wasn’t just one player who made us great. However, when it came down to the wire, there were a few guys I’d put in position to make the big play. All of our coaches do similar things at Shula’s restaurants. The team who wins this year’s tournament will have a player or two who comes up big in a few key moments. It’s up to the coaches to get the ball in their hands.
“Get in the Game” at Shula Burger during March Madness
Now, while Coach’s tips are sure to propel one lucky team to a championship, it’s no secret that the first four rounds of the NCAA Tournament are the ones that create the most visual excitement for fans. That’s why Shula Burger is offering up four “Get in the Game” offers – so sports fans have a different offer to redeem for each round. Not only that, but each offer allows fans to celebrate the friends and family who join them to catch the tournament action!
The four offers, redeemable at any Shula Burger location during NCAA tournament games from March 20th – March 30th, are as follows:
- “A Beer for your Babe” (buy one beer, get one free to give to your significant other)
- “Burgers for your Bros” (buy two burgers, get two free for your friends joining you for games)
- “Fries for the Guys” (buy one burger, get a side of fries to share with your crew)
- “Get in the Game Grand Prize” (Entry form for the star-studded grand prize filled with memorabilia fans can share with friends and family)
All customers who stop by Shula Burger during an NCAA Tournament game from March 20th – March 30th will have the opportunity to enter the “Get in the Game” Grand Prize raffle. To participate, all customers have to do is fill out their personal information located on “offer 4” of the “Get in the Game” customer appreciation postcard and give Shula Burger staff members clearance to sign them up for Shula Burger’s All Access Pass fan club.
The Grand Prize winner will be selected by March 31st and will be notified that same week. They will win a once-in-a-lifetime gift package including exciting memorabilia signed by Coach Shula and other local sports legends!
That’s a lot going on – but President Dave Shula says that’s just how things are done at Shula’s restaurants.
“Like all other sports fans, we get very excited about the basketball madness in March,” says Shula. “While my Dad wants to make sure all coaches out there are prepared for a deep NCAA tournament run, we want to make sure all of our customers are rewarded for making Shula Burger their destination of choice to track the action. We are excited to help Florida residents enjoy some great food and ‘Get in the Game’ this March.”